Blog

Marketing Trenches Blog

Posts by Mike Sweeney

  • Mike Sweeney | October 28, 2008

    Marketing in a Recession: 3 Tips for Doing More with Less

    So your boss just dropped the following task on you – you need to cut marketing spend, and you also need to figure out how to make that spend work better from an ROI standpoint.  If it makes you feel any better, you’re not alone.  Marketing department heads are getting hit with that same task […] read more

  • Mike Sweeney | September 19, 2008

    Closed Loop Marketing – Focus on the Process

    I was recently talking to a marketing executive at a mid-sized software company, and he brought up a problem he was having with “closing the loop” between marketing’s lead generation efforts and the sales team’s revenue output.  He mentioned that while the company had recently invested in a CRM solution and some accompanying marketing automation software, that […] read more

  • Mike Sweeney | September 2, 2008

    Keeping the Newsroom Fresh

    Some companies call it Current News.  Others call it Company News.  Still others call it Latest News.  That part doesn’t really matter.  What matters is that you keep the content updated, relevant and consistent for your website visitors. To further clarify, what I am referring to is the section of a corporate website that contains […] read more

  • Mike Sweeney | July 30, 2008

    Microsite or Landing Page?

    I’ve addressed this question three times in the past week, so it finally registered on my blog-worthy radar.  Microsites and landing pages are certainly related.  Close cousins, yes.  Siblings, no. Landing Pages   Let’s start with the landing page.  Landing pages are typically one-page creations.  They focus on one particular offer, and specifically on getting […] read more

  • Mike Sweeney | July 29, 2008

    What is Social Media, and what can my business do with it?

    Social media is hot.  If you’re a marketer and you don’t know that, you must be busy reading your back issues of The Industry Standard. From a business standpoint, 90% of companies are trying to figure out how to address social media, and the other 10% are just pretending they know what they’re doing with regards to […] read more

  • Mike Sweeney | July 20, 2008

    Building The Internet Marketing Department

    Clients and agencies frequently ask me about how I’d structure an internal internet marketing department.  Clients typically ask because as they see their internet marketing programs expanding, they naturally begin to wonder if they can save money and take more control by bringing the entire function in-house.  Agencies typically ask because they see client dollars […] read more