I’d say that only 10% of job seekers understand that looking for a job is not all that different from strategizing, creating and executing a marketing campaign. What are some simple aspects that drive the success of a marketing campaign?
- Choose a target audience carefully.
- Customize your offering and content for that target audience.
- Make sure the target audience can quickly and easily view your offering.
- Allow the target audience to interact with you in a variety of ways.
Translated into a job search, those bullets become:
- Pick a few audiences of companies and decision makers that are realistic targets.
- Don’t send the same thing to everyone; customize the content for the audience, company, and decision maker.
- Make sure the recipient of your materials can view resumes, cover letters and other credentials in whatever way they prefer.
- For godssakes, provide a number of options for getting in touch – email, phone, IM, blog, etc.
90% of the job inquiries I receive break at least one of these rules. Guess where those inquiries go? From the inbox to the trash – immediately.